Sunday, February 11, 2007

Dada/Daddy : Baby's First Word??!!??

I never knew that Dada/Daddy is "usually" babies' first word till my friend, Kim, mentioned it to me a couple of weeks ago. Well, who would have thought that Dada comes clearer first before Mama? Can somebody please explain this to me? 'Coz I still find it weird! =) Oh well, at least now I understand... I still remember that day when we got home from work, and my son, CJ, just never stop babbling "Dada." It was really a touching moment for all of us, especially to PJ. We ended up recording it and begging him not to stop until he got tired and start his usual snoring at nights! LOL!
Well, as a consolation for me, being the mom, he can actually say Mommy/Mama, only in a different way... It's my family who really enjoys it everytime they ask him to say, "Mommy/Mama." Why? Maybe because I've grown so big, that he actually pronounce Mommy as "Ba-bye!" You would actually think he said it as "Baboy" (Tagalog word for pig!!) Great, isn't it? Don't get it wrong.. I'm really close with my son, that we tend to forget his dad's existence especially when he's busy with his laptop. I guess I'll just have to buy Kim's explanation why he can't still say Mama clearly.
Anyway, we're still enjoying his toddler years! And the fact that he's starting to babble a lot is a sure sign that he's right on track and very much healthy. He sure is getting bigger each day, and I just can't get enough of him...Motherhood is really an overwhelming experience, not everyone gets to be a mom...and not every mom gets to be called "baboy" by her own toddler!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Conne! He is just the most precious little boy ever! Too cute!

It's funny, but the reason Dada sometimes comes as a child's first word is because the sound 'd' is easier than forming the 'm' sound. The 'm' sound actually takes quite a bit more effort. Anyway, I just learned that from a linguistics class I took.

Enjoy this time with CJ. It's exciting, isn't it!?! Just think of all his other 'firsts' to come! What an adventure for all of you :)

Unknown said...

PS. One of my girlfriends actually told me that her son's first word was 'Mama"...which totally makes more sense to me, since she (my friend) spends most of her time with the baby and you'd think that surely 'mama' would be every child's first word! Funny.

CoNnE said...

thanks Chrissy for enlightening me on that matter...atleast now there's a more scientific explanation that I can throw to PJ...haha!

I do appreciate your frequent visits to my blog and PJ's...I really love your site! i wish i can make mine as very nice and interesting like yours! you inspire me to do this =)

hope you and hubby can visit Manila soon coz we would really love to meet you!

Unknown said...

Hi! I really enjoy your blog (and PJ's too)! When Hubby and I go to the Phils, we'll look you up! ;p Likewise, if you're ever in Canada...LOL! I know Canada's a pretty BIG country, but the offer's always open :)

kim said...

Thank you! Thank you for reaffirming and announcing to the world my unending wisdom and knowledge, Conne.

I'll look forward to having a "label" of my own here. Teehee...

-KIM


P.S. Now, if you'll just announce to the rest of the WWW that I'm not just smart, but sexy like hell, too, all will be well with us. :-)

Johnny Q said...

Very cute story!
My wife and I had a friendly battle over what would come first, Mama or Daddy. What actually came first? ByeBye! Since we live in Canada and are not Filipino, I'm sure it wasn't Tagalog for pig ;-)

http://mojokidz.com/mojo-blog/65-it-happens-when-it-happens