Tuesday, February 20, 2007

How to win back an unhappy customer?

I just want to share the cool experience we had last week when we dined in at Bubba Gump (Greenbelt, Makati). Aside from their awesome and sooooooooo yummylicious menu, I can't help but be pleased with the way they treat their customers! PJ and I have been their regular customers for the past months, so we know already more or less how the food are served, how good they present it, and how fast their service is (or atleast most of the time, depends on the time of the day). Anyhow, our last visit was quite memorable. I got disappointed because the main course that we ordered didn't arrived on time...I had to follow it up to check if they were able to get our order considering we were almost done with the other food that we ordered and PJ has to run for an appointment. I had to mention that it was quite unusual because we use to order that a lot so we have an idea of how long it takes for it to be cooked/prepared. So, one of the crews or probably the manager, immediately approached us and said that it was in the order list but for some reasons the person-in-charge in the kitchen missed to take note of it. She was very apologetic, and I just bluntly said, it's ok but we prefer to cancel it. In the end, it was too late to cancel since the order was already prepared a few minutes later. Not that we didn't have the choice, but it was quite rude if we still insist. And who am I to make a big deal out of it, when they have sincerely apologized.

Here's the catch! We decided ofcourse to just have it packed so we can take it home (aside from the fact that we were really full, also to be consistent that we are really running out of time) The manager approached us again with a complimentary cup of sinful ice cream together with that she gave us a gift certificate which we can avail on our next visit! Cool, huh? PJ had to go already so I was left with the ice cream. It was just too bad that I'm not an ice cream lover, more so if it's strawberry flavored! I didn't want to hurt their feelings and I don't want them to think that I'm being rude, so I had to finish atleast half of that cup! Burp!

I realized that it was a good strategy that they did there! They have resolved the issue with a-not-so-irate customer, by sincerely apologizing and accepting that it was a mistake on their end. To make it up for a customer, they give them complimentary food, which is the usual approach already done by a lot of restaurants. But for them, aside from that, they made sure that after that not-so-good experience you had with them, they give you a GC which can be availed on the next visit as their way of making you return and try again their food and service! So, as a customer you'll be thrilled that after everything, you were still fortunate that you got a GC from them and you would already consider using it by going back to that restaurant. In the end, chances are you'll come back and be their customer again!

I've had several experiences before when I got so pissed off for a bad service but this one certainly was a different story. Not that I'm being biased, I've worked also as a crew and as a marketing relations officer @ McDonalds for about 3 years during my college, so I know when someone is really not doing his job. Hmmm....I'm also aware how people from the kitchen gets even to a customer when they make life harder for them! It happens everywhere, right?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You know, when I was in the Philippines on vacation, we had a very pleasant dining experience at every place we dined. I just thought it was because filipinos tended to be very eager to please their patrons. I don't know.

From the experience you had, you'd think a lot of restaurants could learn from the great strategy in customer service that you received at Bubba Gump's :)

PJ said...

One of the most important practical lessons I learned while growing up was never, EVER, piss a waiter or cook off by complaining too much or being too arrogant (at least until you finish eating). You'll be surprised at the "creative" things that they can do with your food, behind the scenes. Urgh...