Saturday, April 7, 2007

A Well Spent Lent

Last year we went to Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte to spend the Holy Week holidays, this time around we just stayed home and attend the masses at our parish (Miraculous Medal National Shrine). Although, we were not able to push through with our plans of spending the holidays in Tagaytay, it was also a good thing for at least the Holy Week for us has been more solemn and fruitful.

In addition to that, I was able to attend our scheduled service since CYC-Central Youth Choir, my second family, was assigned to sing on Good Friday. (I know it may sound absurd, since almost all of us are no longer youths. Well, we were, 12 years ago, when the group first started! :) ) Too bad, we're only 6 yesterday-Sty, Rubi, Conne, Duanne, Poch and Jeff, and of course our kikay organist La Belle Armi and Angelo on the guitars!

Anyway, it was indeed a long mass, almost 2 hours! We underestimated the number of people so some of the songs we sang were the what we call "the emergency songs." One of the songs I've always love to sing on Good Friday is the "Tao sa Krus" a very touching and moving song, sang right after the priest shows the Crucifix to the people.

Lyrics: Tao sa Krus
(Sorry have no idea who the composer is)

Tignan masdan, ang Tao sa Krus
Sya'y ating kaligtasan
Halina't sya'y sambahin...

Hanggat ang butil ay di mahulog at mamatay
Ito'y hindi lalago, 'di magbibigay buhay..

(Oh no! I can't remember the 2nd stanza)

Bridge:
Anong laking kahiwagaan, kababaang loob
Naging hamak na tao ang Diyos sa pagtubos
Dugo't tubig ang umagos sa pusong inulos
Huling patak, pag-ibig pa rin binuhos!

The next one is a new song (for us) written by Manoling Francisco, but definitely got my heart the first time I heard the song on one of the albums of Bukas Palad.

If I Could Touch You
by Bukas Palad
Written by: Manoling Francisco

If I could touch You, I'd heal Your broken palms
If I could hold You in my arms
I'd call the soft breeze to caress Your weary arms
I'd call the moonbeam to dispel this darkest night
If I could touch You, I would

If I could hear You, Your words of anguish
If You'd just whisper in my ear
The sadness weighing down Your heart that no man sees
If You'd just call me, I would sing of flaming hope
If I could hear You, I would

Long have I waited for you to hear My cry
Long have I waited for you to answer My plea
What you do to your brethren You do it for Me
I am in the brokenness and woundedness of man

COUNTERPOINT:
Yes, you can touch Me
I'm in the least of your brethren
I'm in the weak and small
I need your hands to bear My weary arms
I need your touch to heal My wounded palms.
Yes, you can touch Me
Yes, you can hear Me

Other songs we sang yesterday were: O, Hesus Hilumin Mo, Sugatan Mo Pa
nginoon Ang Aking Puso, Hesus ng Aking Buhay, Halina Lumapit sa Akin, Pagkabighani and Anima Cristi.

My other sentiments this holy week:
I miss the old days when our group will go for Visita Iglesia after the Maundy Thursday mass. It would be a convoy of about 2-3 cars just to accommodate everyone including non-members who wished to join. After finishing 7 churches, we would go to a convenient store to have midnight snacks and coffee. Ahhhhh, those were the days..those were the younger days..This picture was taken after the New Year's Eve Mass 2007. Jackie and Atz were present - fresh from Singapore and Australia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The composer of Tao sa Krus is Alejo SJ

Unknown said...

The composer of Tao sa Krus is Alejo SJ